Background

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cooking like your Mom!

My mom and gram were two of the best cooks I know. My gram (who had 14 kids) would come and stay with us sometimes and she made the best cookies and donuts. Cooking in lard and using bacon grease, salt pork, all that (hence the reason for the heart attack at 36 lol). My mom made great meals and always had to feed at least 7-9 people depending. Oh and she did it so well, but would always run us kids out of the kitchen, we were underfoot.
Yesterday I made cabbage rolls because I was at the grocery store and found this huge cabbage. I don't make them too often because I am the only one here that eats them and they are a big job, messy.
So today I am warming one up for breakfast (yes I love them that much) and I am thinking who am I going to give some of these to because I have a large roaster pan full and no matter how much you love them, in a few days I will not be able to eat another. Lol
After 40+ years it dawns on me....why do I cook like my mom and gram. Why not just buy a smaller cabbage and make less. Why not buy a roast smaller than a breadbox, or roasting chicken not the size of a turkey for Sunday dinner? There is only two of us with our son away at college half the year and we don't like all the same food. I wish I had thought of this sooner lol.
To top it off he made chili yesterday for him (yuck), and made a large crock pot full, he had a large family too. He can freeze his chili I guess but I can't freeze the cabbage rolls because the rice is gross when thawed (yuck).
So NO MORE COOKING QUITE LIKE OUR MOMS!
I hope you are all having a great weekend. I am cleaning out the craft room. Can you say hoarder lol.
Kathy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy... I too have the same problem with meal size. It seems my fridge is always overflowing with leftovers!

    Your cabbage rolls sound yummy, I'd help you eat them it I was there...

    Blessings, Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made cabbage rolls not that long ago and we were eating them for days!Ended up throwing some out. We loved them but there is no small recipe for cabbage rolls!
    I have been working at making meals for 2! I have some successes but numerous failures. My only resolution this year was to not save leftovers and I can't even stick to that. Some things are just too expensive to throw out. I wish there was a neighbor--an old widowed man( or woman ), who needed some decent leftover food! ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,,,,I know this is so not the place for this post but I wanted to let you know I just saw your post on my blog about the lighted pantry cake.And in answer to your question...yes..I do sell them.They are 10.00.I'll pay the shipping if you want one and I do now have paypal. Let me know. Thanks... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Kat
    I can relate to this post! Homemade doughnuts! YUM< I haven't had them since Grandma passed away~ Wish I could make them like she did!!!loved them warm!!!!
    Oh, and Mom's warm chocolate cake, not even frosted yet~ YUM!!!!
    Thanks for sharing some GOOOD Memories! Wish you could send me some of those rolls~ HUbby Hates cabbage!!!LOL
    smiles
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete